Thursday, July 19, 2012

In Everything Give Thanks

This is a guest post by Carole.

I Thessalonians 5:18
"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Each Sunday we learn a verse together as a church. A few weeks ago this verse was on the board. This is one of those verses that I've known (almost) my entire life. But, for some reason I saw this verse as never before. In every thing thanks. I started to wonder; do I thank God for everything, or just the good that comes in my life? Am I thankful for the many sleepless nights I've sat up with my baby, or am I just thankful when she finally sleeps again?

With this verse on my mind and heart I started to look at my life a bit differently. Instead of complaining of no sleep, I can choose to be thankful for the extra moments I get to spend with my sweet baby who is growing up much too quickly. Instead of complaining of dreary weather, I can choose to be thankful for the time spent indoors with my children working on household projects or playing a new game. Instead of missing loved ones back in the States I can choose to be thankful for the modern technology that allows us to continue to be a part of each other's lives.

The list can go on and on. I've lost loved ones since being on the field, but I can be thankful we will see them again. Instead of grieving over friends who are moving away I can be thankful for the wonderful times we've shared together and the way our lives have been enriched by their friendship.

This week I challenge you, let's be thankful in ALL things. In Everything! I determine to be thankful for each and every circumstance that comes my way, whether it be lovely or not. Will you join me?

1 comment:

  1. This really challenged me. Thanks for sharing! Today, instead of complaining how my son (4 mo) doesn't take naps very well, I'll be thankful that he does sleep through the night! :)

    ReplyDelete