Thursday, November 1, 2012

Everyday Gratitude

Thanksgiving is in 3 weeks (to me, that's unbelievable!). This time of the year always brings about reflection and thoughts of gratitude for Americans.

But why do we seem to only give thanks around the time of Thanksgiving?
Image Credit: amboo who?
Thanksgiving is definitely a time of remembering what God has done. I want to challenge myself and you to do this all year round. It's so easy to complain when things don't go my way and not have a thankful attitude. Michele at Passionate Homemaking says this about being thankful:
"It’s the intentional, everyday thankfulness that I seek to cultivate in my...[heart]; illuminating the awe of everyday blessings amid both trials and goodness."
Now there's a challenge... being thankful in the midst of a trial. It's not necessarily about giving thanks for only the goodness; it's about being thankful even when things aren't going the way you thought they should go. What blessings do you find in the midst of the trial?
I can think of two specific trials that I'm thankful for this past year. The complications I faced after the birth of our son weren't expected. Recovery was difficult, but I'm thankful for a good labour and a healthy baby boy!

The other one is more recent with obtaining my driving licence in the UK. It's been a long frustrating process involving many test failures. In the end, I'm thankful that I'll be a better driver because of it and for the huge lesson in humility!
"I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
and I will glorify your name forever." Psalm 86:12 (ESV)
So what about you? What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

  1. I was so thankful for a rainy stormy afternoon, an empty house and soft music as I worked on planning for school and then writing. It was bliss after a very hectic week.

    Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful that even though we're planning a medical furlough because I've been really sick for the past few years, God is showering us with His love as we make plans. Someone has offered to rent our house here on the field while we are gone, and someone else has offered to pay our rent while we are in the US! There is always so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete