Thursday, June 13, 2013

Goodbyes

Yesterday we had to say goodbye.  Again.  This time, friends of ours are leaving the country for good.  Sigh.  It's hard.  And what makes it harder is my kids are taking it hard. This guy was one of our boys' first friends here.

 This part of the missionary life is just hard.  There is no other way to say it.  Someone told me once that we weren't made for goodbyes.  Yep, I would say that's true.

This goodbye has been especially difficult on our oldest.  He's been crying about it for a week now.




We've talked about how it's good to cry, to feel the pain, but also to celebrate the times that we've had with them.  A couple of weeks ago we had a Despidida (going away party) at our house for them.  It was such a fun day, but hard too.  Last night we drove the 45 minutes down the mountain to see them for the last time here in Costa Rica.  These things are important.  They give us time to say goodbye, to remember, to celebrate and to grieve.



And I pray that my boys will not become hardened with all of these goodbyes.  I want them to stay soft, to embrace people, not hold them at a distance because they are afraid they will leave.

How about you?  How do you help your kids through all of the goodbyes this life brings us?

5 comments:

  1. Good-Byes are one of the hardest things on the mission field! Praying for your children, I know how difficult it is for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've usually been the ones moving away, which somehow seems easier. Either way, goodbyes are no fun. :( Praying as y'all work through this one....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I feel your pain. Several friends have recently moved away and my kids take it so hard every single time. I don't have much advice on making it easier...just know that you aren't alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Danielle! And enjoy your furlough!!

      Delete