Saturday, September 14, 2013

Letting the Body of Christ Do Its Job

As missionaries, we have a lot to do in terms of our ministries and caring for those around us (families, as well as friends and neighbours). We are the body of Christ to them. But sometimes life takes us by surprise and we have to let the body of Christ care for us.

When we had a miscarriage earlier this year, I was astounded by all the help we received from our church and organisation. It was a blessing to get a couple of meals provided. We had many offers to babysit our son while I was in hospital. So many people offered their help, and we didn't know what to do with it all.

My husband wanted to make certain to take up every offer of help. I thought we didn't necessarily need the help, though. I felt bad—like we were using them. And besides, how were we going to have all these people help us when we didn't necessarily need all the help?

As a friend of ours was giving us a lift to hospital the week I miscarried, either my husband or I made the comment that we didn't know what to do with all the offers of help, and that we felt guilty for taking it. Our friend kindly reminded us that this is an opportunity to let the body of Christ do it's job. Let them serve—we may not need it, but they do.

This has been one of God's blessings in the midst of our loss: We could allow the body of Christ do what they're called to do. We let them come alongside us and meet our needs. We let them take us to and from hospital, bring us meals, sit with me in hospital, babysit, and keep me company at home. Never in my life have I imagined experiencing the body of Christ from this perspective! It's humbling.

The body of Christ has done its job well.

Because of this, I've been given a new perspective on the body of Christ. As far as I can remember I've always been on the giving end of it... not the receiving end. It's very humbling. I find myself challenged to give more, especially out of the grief that we're experiencing.

In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ Acts 20:35 (ESV)

Are you walking through a season of trials right now? Let me encourage you to seek encouragement and help from your church, friends and family. If you're not in a season of trials, how can you be the body of Christ to someone near you?

(A version of this post was originally published here.)

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful story, Chrysti. So sorry to hear about your miscarriage though.

    It is humbling to be on the receiving end. This happened to me 5 years ago when my husband had a mini-stroke here in Turkey.

    I have a few national friends and my team mates with whom I can share struggles. (Like feeling totally overwhelmed this September with school, a friend's wedding, and ministry! :-))

    ReplyDelete