Thursday, July 10, 2014

Practical love

Practical love ... tangible love ... Being God's feet and hands to a world desperate for love. This was part of the message I recently heard at Hillsongs Germany. Living life and loving people in a practical way. 

Awesome message and really cool church! 

Here's a real life story of practical love in action ...  

While packing Ashleigh's lunch on Monday morning I realized we didn't have any bread so we left early to get her a sandwich at the local grocery store. As we walked into the store we saw a guy selling newspapers. I hurried by not wanting Ash to be late for school and didn't give the guy another thought. 

After I got off of work the same day I needed to go back to the same store (yes, a little planning would be good) for a few more things. As I was walking in I saw the same guy selling newspapers right outside the front doors. I asked God to bless him as I walked by him and I kept thinking about him as I walked through the store. When I got to the check out counter I noticed a young guy named Tim that goes to school with Ashleigh at BFA. He was in another line and I offered for him to go in front of me so he wouldn't have to wait. He turned down the offer and asked if I was connected to BFA. I told him I was Ashleigh's mom and then he did the strangest thing ... 

he asked me for .50 so he could buy a newspaper from a guy outside. 

Yes, the very same guy I asked God to bless! I was more than a little stunned and I thanked God for allowing me to share in the blessing. Tim said he felt bad for the guy and wanted to bless him. He noticed the guy Monday morning as well. He said he didn't read German, but he would give the paper to the German teacher at BFA. I handed over the .50 and Tim walked out. You see, Tim wasn't in the store to buy anything. Tim was in the store to find someone to share in the blessing. 

I paid for my things, drove over to the school to pick up Ashleigh and i saw Tim. He smiled really big, held up the paper and said, "thank you." I smiled back and thanked God once again. Through his dorm mom I found out that Tim went back to the store and bought 2 more newspapers later that afternoon. 

No matter where we are in the line of blessing we simply need to be obedient with our part. It's in the small details that we know people care. It's when a seemingly insignificant need is met that we feel and experience the love of a Dad who cares about our every need. Let's be on the lookout to bless and let those around us experience His love through us. Let's be intentional with our giving of time, resources, words of wisdom, listening ears and so on. Intentional. 


11 Yes, you will be enriched in every way so that you can always be generous. And when we take your gifts to those who need them, they will thank God. 12 So two good things will result from this ministry of giving—the needs of the believers in Jerusalem will be met, and they will joyfully express their thanks to God.   2 Corinthians 9:11-12





1 comment: