Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tuesday Together: Coffee again


I'm back! Sorry about the unplanned break here. I had to be out of town unexpectedly for two weeks. It was all good, I just didn't have time to plan ahead.

We're still recycling Ashley's coffee chat idea and questions. If you want to participate, please send your answers to me (fylliska@gmail.com). I'll compile them and post them next week. Feel free to send a photo of yourself to go with what you write, too. Here are the questions for this time:

-Do you have a funny kid story or cross-cultural/language mishap story to share?
-What is one verse that God has used to encourage you recently and why?
-How can we pray for you today?


And then, to discuss something today, let's have some travel chat in the comments: What was the last trip you took? Where to and what for? (Just send your email with your answers for the coffee chat off to me first, please. Then come back here for some chit-chat in the comments box, if you still have time. Thanks!)

5 comments:

  1. Please pray I can let go of all bitterness, things/people that draw me away from Christ...true friends... and direction for next year.

    "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds," "He has made everything beautiful in it's time..." I also read the OT prophets and Jonah (as part of my Bible reading plan) and felt better.

    well funny language stories... I forgot that in Thai "mai" in a certain word is like a question mark in English, so I used to shout, instead of "See you later!" as I walked out the door... "WILL I see you later?" I also kept mixing up the Thai words for "buy" and "fight," so sometimes I would try to say "I want to go buy something," and it sounded like "I want to go fight something," (no wonder I would get strange looks). I also (remember thai is a tonal language) would mix up "spicy" with "diamond" and "duck" (all same words but different tones)... So instead of saying "I don't want spicy," I would say "I don't want ducks," or "I don't want diamonds." Yay me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is funny... I mean, really, who says that they don't want diamonds?

      Delete
  2. It's been a long time since we took a trip! The last one I can think of was last July, when we went to the beach about an hour away for a couple of days to celebrate our 10th anniversary. The first day, we were able to enjoy time together just as a couple while a friend watched our kids, and then the second day, my husband drove home and got our kids, and we got to enjoy the pool and beach as a family, which was a fun way to celebrate our anniversary. I think it's time for us to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked about travel, because I had just gotten back from a two-week trip to Kyiv. If you want to read about it, I wrote a blog post....
    http://fylliska.blogspot.com/2015/03/two-weeks-wow.html

    Sarah, your trip sounded wonderful! I love the way you did it to get both couple and family time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baah Haaah! I sure do have a funny language mishap to share. The beautiful spring days in Istanbul made for one awesome opportunity to "make new friends" at the park. We were there only 3 days. First time in country. Prego mamas in burqas everywhere and my 6 year old is screaming "Higher! Higher! Higher!" as I push her on the swing. I am fearing for her life on the playground equipment that is no where near to my standards of safety and then I realize an older woman is yelling at me and then she walks near. All mamas looking my direction. I had no clue what she was saying with her entire body, passion and furry was rolling off of her tongue all the way to her hips. Yikes. I was super confused and then realized that in english 'Higher' when swinging means just keep trying to blast me to the moon. In this new culture 'Higher' meant NO. Or STOP in this case. Basically this older woman was the social services coming on over to tell me to stop abusing my kid.

    ReplyDelete